The Los Angeles Online Film Critics Society is now accepting new member applications until March 31, 2019. In mid to late April 2019, we will announce our new members via press release, email, and on social media.
If you are interested in becoming a member, please review the following qualifications before applying:
There is a yearly membership fee of $75.
All applicants must reside in or around the Los Angeles Area.
Applicant must have a minimum of two years experience as a film critic and must show consistent on-going work as a critic. We require all of our applicants to review at least four films per month.
There is a strict requirement that all applicants must have written or recorded at least 50 film reviews in the past year. Reviews can include theatrical reviews, Blu-Ray releases, film festival reviews, and classic films. All video reviews must be at least 3 minutes in length while written reviews should be no less than 400 words per article.
Quality is key. All written reviews should be free of grammatical errors. If you are a video reviewer, your video reviews should be of high-quality and edited together without excessive jump-cuts.
We are looking for unique voices that aren’t afraid of meaningful criticism. We are all about celebrating film as a medium and want our members to be able to express their feelings towards a film whether they love it or hate it.
Any award screeners or screening links received as part of being a member must not be shared or distributed to anyone outside of the organization.
Any screening invites that you to receive as a LAOFCS member are not to be forwarded or shared with anyone outside of the organization.
Some additional requirements to be a member of the Los Angeles Online Film Critics Society are as follows:
- Appear on LAOFCS Weekly at least twice per the calendar year.
- Participate in our monthly Daily Critic Pick at least six times per year.
- Participate in voting for the Movie Pick of the Week regularly.
- Send in any required work according to the Facebook group or Email deadlines.
- Attend at least one LAOFCS member meeting per the calendar year.
- Contribute to on-going discussions about “the group” on our Facebook page, the primary means of communication for our organization, and reply to a communication in a timely fashion.
- As a member of the LAOFCS, we hope and encourage you to attend the LAOFCS Award Ceremony each year.
- Under absolutely no circumstance is it allowed to disclose any information discussed in our Facebook group or via LAOFCS email about the organization to anyone who isn’t a member. If it is discovered that you have disclosed information, you will be immediately removed from the group
If you meet and agree to all of the above-mentioned criteria, please feel free to apply to become a member by filling out the application below.